Re: [platform-ui-dev] M2 is next week and some experiences with Android Studio

On 21 Sep 2015, at 16:14, Doug Schaefer wrote:

From: <platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>> on behalf of Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>> Reply-To: "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Monday, September 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM
To: "platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>" <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>> Subject: Re: [platform-ui-dev] M2 is next week and some experiences with Android Studio

On 09/21/2015 10:14 AM, Lars Vogel wrote:

Mickael, of course if we introduce such a feature there would be an option to turn it in or of.

Sure, but users usually want to have "best defaults" settings rather than options, and I just want to point out that risking to mess up the workflow of hot-swapping classes while debugging is something to consider when evaluating what are the "best defaults" for auto-save.

I think this is the right way to think about all of our UX. We need to make sure we’re not using options/preferences as a crutch, to say, well we can’t decide what the best thing so we’ll make the user decide. At the end of the day, that may lead to a worse UX than you had without adding the feature at all.

For example, in this case, you could detect the file is under debug and not autosave. More work, but a better UX.

I'm wondering how to detect that.

I guess it would be any file in any project linked to in any source container in any running launched processes ?

Quite a long way to detect it ;)

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Back to the top