Re: [platform-ui-dev] M2 is next week and some experiences with Android Studio

On 10 Sep 2015, at 22:36, Mickael Istria wrote:

 dislike the auto-save so much! However, I can understand some people like it, but we really need to consider that it doesn't fit all users.

Intellji save on focus lost, which actually works pretty nice.

Eclipse already has auto-save on build - which is also nice; but saves less often.

IMO auto-save is in Intellij and family because the IDE isnt't able to provide good validation on "dirty" documents, mainly because it relies on external tools. Eclipse with it's incremental builds and so on is much better on that part.

This a dangerous logic trap to jump into.

Validation by external tools is just a fraction of its usefulness.

Just consider you have an application deployed to a server - if you don't press save, IDE won't make the changes available (both intellij and eclipse)

The main reason for auto-save being available is that it just works nicer and most have git or IDE local history to undo any accidental save.

p.s. I personally disliked auto-save too, but must say that now that OS X "force-feed" autosave in most of its applications I started to enjoy it. One just don't realise it since it "just works".

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Back to the top