Re: [platform-ui-dev] M2 is next week and some experiences with Android Studio

On 09/21/2015 03:52 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
Can you give intellij a try and see how they solve it ? since they should have the same problem I reckon.
I made a dummy Swing test with a button showing up a pop-up. The label in the pop-up is the return value of a static method 2nd class. I start the application as debug and change the label.

IntelliJ doesn't propagate change to application under debug automatically, in the Debug View, user has to click on a "reload" button to load the changes in the application. It only saw it it restarting fully the application. I guess/hope that it tries to Hotswap first and failback to "reload" in case Hotswap cannot manage the change! If one of the files of the project has a compilation issue when user hits reload, application is stopped.
With Eclipse, saving a file automatically propagates change (on the "future" of the application only, so changes don't affect current state, only what's going to happen). In my example, Eclipse managed to update the application where IntelliJ restarted it, so when hitting the button, I could see the new label in the pop-up.

I didn't see IntelliJ actually hotswapping, I saw it restarting, which is annoying if it's all it does; at least when you're used to rely on hotswap a lot while developing.

But overall, to get back in the context of the discussion, it seems acceptable that in case of auto-save, user has to manually click a "reload" button while debugging to trigger hotswap instead of having it done automatically.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top