Re: [platform-ant-dev] Ant project builders in separate VM?

Jared Burns wrote:
I appreciate the position you're in, Bob. But I think you need to recognize that the vast majority of the world doesn't use Ant to drive Eclipse.

The majority of people we've heard from are using Ant in heterogenous environments. The same Ant scripts have to run from within Eclipse and from the command line.

Ok, I hear and agree, but we're not quite communicating.

Let's turn it around. You have a really nice feature that makes it simple for people to use plugin tasks as though they were preinstalled in Ant. Whatever you intended it for, that's what it is. You're essentially saying that people don't want to use it because it ties them to Eclipse. So you throw them back to manually juggling the Ant launch classpath and adding taskdef elements to all their scripts.

How about thinking of this in terms of making it easier for people to produce scripts that run both inside and outside Eclipse _and_ take advantage of plugin tasks?

These Eclipse-specific Ant tasks are cool and all, but they're an advanced, fairly niche feature. I'm inclined to say that if your users are advanced enough to be writing Ant scripts that use these tasks, they should be able to set the option to run those scripts in the same VM as Eclipse.

I think it's wrong to assume that everyone who runs Ant is a shell script bangin' Ant expert. Far from it. Many people learn Ant by imitating simple examples, cutting and pasting generated code and running these examples from Eclipse in the usual edit,test,loop cycle, just like applications in any other language. This is the kind of thing an IDE should try to make easy.

Ok, over my word limit.

Bob

I think the fact that Ant used to be run in the same VM as Eclipse was way more counterintuitive than what we have today. I don't remember the feature's history, but I'd *guess* that the only reason we even support it is so that the Eclipse build process can be run with Ant and use the Eclipse JDT compiler.

- Jared