Re: [platform-ant-dev] Ant project builders in separate VM?

To shed some historical light on this, I believe the Ant support was initially added to Eclipse solely for the purpose of building Eclipse itself.  It wasn't initially conceived as a typical end-user feature, but more as a plug-in development feature (build.xml, etc). Thus, Eclipse-specified Ant tasks were the norm. We quickly realized that this was not generally useful for end-users, and had the danger of creating Ant tasks that locked users into Eclipse.  Here is a document that was written about the issue a couple of years ago:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-core-home/rfc/0009/index.html

I think the bottom line is that both audiences are important (Eclipse Ant task users and vanilla Ant users), and we need to make it as easy as possible for both. While the vanilla Ant user is probably the most common case, keep in mind that making execution in a separate VM the default is guaranteed to break users in the other group. The current default breaks nobody, but can lead to OutOfMemoryErrors in some scenarios. My suggestion is to keep the same VM as the default, but make the option more prominent and explain the consequences of both settings. Perhaps creating an Ant builder could use a wizard, with the first page asking to select "same VM" or "separate VM".  This would give you a place to explain the options to the user and make sure they are not accidentially creating scripts that tie them to Eclipse.
--

platform-ant-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/05/2004 11:54:01 PM:

> I think the fact that Ant used to be run in the same VM as Eclipse was way
> more counterintuitive than what we have today. I don't remember the feature's
> history, but I'd *guess* that the only reason we even support it is so that
> the Eclipse build process can be run with Ant and use the Eclipse JDT
> compiler.

Back to the top