Re: [orion-dev] Evangelize goal on 0.4

Great comment. For the (-) points I like to think in terms of what do I really use all the time in my regular IDE that needs to carry over to Orion vs. I get all the things from my IDE.

There's so much I never use but is there anyway in my IDE.

Offline for me, or switching to self hosted and back again, is something Orion definitely needs to support. Can I continue where I was working on the Plane.

Ken Walker 2670 Queensview Drive
Eclipse Orion Project Ottawa, K2B 8K1
Tools for the web, on the web Canada
IBM Software Group, Rational
Phone:+1-613-356-5021
Mobile:+1-613-355-7666
e-mail:ken_walker@xxxxxxxxxx
Project Orion

Inactive hide details for John J Barton ---2011/10/26 12:48:15 PM---I guess there are two keys for 'evangelize': 1) one clear aJohn J Barton ---2011/10/26 12:48:15 PM---I guess there are two keys for 'evangelize': 1) one clear advantage, 2) no significant downside. We

John J Barton <johnjbarton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

2011/10/26 12:48 PM

[orion-dev] Evangelize goal on 0.4

Sent by:

orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I guess there are two keys for 'evangelize': 1) one clear advantage, 2) no significant downside. We can float ideas about advantage, but enumerating and defeating the downside list requires understanding what is on that list.  We need to break down the idea the Web apps are not competitive with desktop into specific issues and attack the items.

So what might be on lists?
+) No/minimal install
+) opens fast (time it)
+) Work from anywhere

future +) customize / extend w/Web technology
future +) best web dev tool

-) no offlline
-) no customize/macros capability
-) unfamiliar
-) missing feature x, y, or z (need top few specifics).
-) no clear advantage.

We may be more effective if we agree on this list and focus on it.

jjb