Re: [modeling-pmc] Modeling Project Overhaul

Ed,

Comments below.

On 14/07/2012 9:15 AM, Ed Willink wrote:
Hi
At present 'Modeling' is not evident as a further level of umbrella project, so when the current umbrella projects are eliminated 'Modeling' will suddenly appear
Suddenly appear where?
No idea. Just experience-based intuition as to where a gotcha is hiding.
No doubt there will be some glitches...

Every project needs a parent. Ok we dislike the current parents, but if we move from e.g. MDT to Modeling it is a change and Modeling is likely to show up somewhere.
Perhaps.
Moving to Eclipse as the totally flat parent might be better;
That's not an option in terms of project nesting. Modeling projects must be nested under the top level modeling project.
this is increasingly what is happening in many naming contexts.
Yes, in terms of qualified namespaces, we've not generally been including the umbrella project in the qualification. Of course no one is proposing that any projects must change their namespaces.
However this needs to be part of an Eclipse-wide activity since we would then need to share Foundation rather than Modeling infrastructure. Probably a good idea, I might be able to find GIT or Subversive or GEF without searching three possible container projects.
I can only focus on making it easier to find modeling technologies, not solving the Eclipse-wide website problem of "how do I find an interesting technology/solution for my problem."

So I conclude that there is no compelling reason to keep the umbrella projects, but there is a concern about that change being potentially/possibly disruptive. I will work with Wayne to minimize and mitigate any problems that might arise.

Regards

        Ed Willink