Re: [m2e-dev] m2e-core build system (Was: Re: Need help in opening m2e project in eclipse)

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 9:20 AM Carsten Heyl <cal-1@xxxxxx> wrote:
But this is not true for all projects and I try to understand why and
how m2e may be different.
[...]
I expected the POM model to be the richer source of information and
expected .project and .classpath to

For Eclipse plugins in general, the .project, MANIFEST.MF and other metadata are the richest source of information at the moment.

I had to bump some project versions lately and there is redundancy of
information that feels wrong.

That is because Eclipse plugins development with PDE and Tycho is MANIFEST-first; and most contents of pom.xml needs to be derived from the MANIFEST.MF.

be generated based on that model.
Something like the "eclipse:eclipse" goal to generate
.project/.classpath (?)  files.
[...]
How will the command line m2e maven build later get the information
needed for building m2e.

Tycho pom-less does things the other way round: when no pom.xml already exists, it generates at build-time a transient pom.xml which is derived from MANIFEST.MF et al.
That allows to reduce the amount of duplication while still allowing efficient usage of PDE and Tycho.

Back to the top