[m2e-dev] m2e-core build system (Was: Re: Need help in opening m2e project in eclipse)

I am aware of the ongoing discussion in
https://github.com/eclipse-m2e/m2e-core/pull/150 and I looked into your
links.

My experience is MUCH more with ant/ivy/gradle and intellij IDEA and
even eclipse buildship so a lot of my expectations
and modelling of the eclipse/tycho/m2e/pom world I try to get by
translating from one mentel modal to another.

In the gradle/intellij combination the gradle model of the world is the
"richer" one.
The major part of the module configuration files can be derived from
that and so they don't handle these files
as assets anymore, that get into VCS but recommend to ignore them from
VCS and let them be rebuild.

Eclipse/buildship, the gradle support in the eclipse world equivalent to
m2e for maven is doing the same
for .project  and .classpath files. See for example

https://github.com/eclipse/buildship/issues/976

"Single source of truth" and defining what is the leading system for
some information is guiding that.

There is always the tension between building from the command line and
building from the IDE and

in general I prefer "command line first" because that's the only way for
proper automation.

But this is not true for all projects and I try to understand why and
how m2e may be different.

I had to bump some project versions lately and there is redundancy of
information that feels wrong.

I expected the POM model to be the richer source of information and
expected .project and .classpath to

be generated based on that model.

Something like the "eclipse:eclipse" goal to generate
.project/.classpath (?)  files.

How will the command line m2e maven build later get the information
needed for building m2e.

Trying to understand,

    Cal