Re: [linuxtools-dev] Oprofile plugins run opreport too many times?

On 12:31:36 PM Wednesday, May 25, 2011 Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 23:14:37 Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > * Vladimir Prus <vladimir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2011-05-24 15:04]:
> > > Does anybody know whether the current behaviour has some motivation,
> > > or it's purely historic?
> >
> > It could easily be purely historic.  I'm not intimately familiar with
> > the code so I can't say for sure.
>
> Okay, I'll then assume this is historic.
>
> > Many of the previous committers in
> > this area have moved on to other things and as a project we'd love some
> > involvement from others here.  Your contributions are most welcome.
>
> I am actually confused about the profiling data visualization story
> inside LinuxTools. It seems that gprof and oprofile use different veiwers,
> for no good purpose. Was it considered to have a common profiling data
> viewer which is fed appropriate model, or maybe even files in some
> agreed-upon format?

This is historic too. Gprof was written by ST and donated to Linux Tools
project. Oprofile was written as part of Linux Tools from the beginning.
I have been always wanting to see Linux Tools subprojects collaborate more and
share common code but this hasn't happened because of too few active
maintainers. FWIW, there is linuxprofilingframework subproject in git which is
used for common code between valgrind and oprofile, it would be really cool if
someone refactors oprofile/gprof to share the code you're speaking about and
put it in the profilingframework.

Alex

> > I'm curious, have you modify opreport in some way to do remote
> > collection or do you do things at the Eclipse level?
>
> We do things at Eclipse level. It's premature to say we're really
> done, but yes, opreport is run remotely.
>
> - Volodya

Back to the top