Re: [egit-dev] jgit and eclipse meta-data.

On 2010-01-09, at 12:36 PM, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> It's a Maven project I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that.
>>

> It's an Eclipse project at Eclipse.org. I don't think its unreasonable to request that it should build in an Eclipse workspace using Eclipse tooling.

It is all eclipse tooling. If you're saying that it has to consist of only tools that exist at eclipse.org then I'm going to tell you you're being provincial.

As I said before we'll do everything in our power to make it work seamlessly but times are changing and Maven projects like JGit and Tigerstripe are just going to become more prevalent here at eclipse.org.

>>> I also have to install m2eclipse into our own automated build system.
>>>

>> No you wouldn't. I can help with that but all you would need is Tycho there. Why would you need to install M2Eclipse, it's simply the UI aspect of the Maven integration. Tycho is all you need in an automated environment.
>>

> I would appreciate your help very much. What we need is a way to call out to maven from our workflow.  Buckminster has 'actors' which are extendable (through eclipse extension points). A Maven actor that would enable us to generate a manifest from the POM would be a great enhancement and a very useful improvement to the Buckminster Maven provider. Would you be willing to provide such a bundle from Sonatype? At present, we cannot do that from Eclipse.org due to the IP restrictions.

Should I be looking at the documentation for CBI? To see how the CI system works here.

What I would be willing to do is figure out what the actual requirements are for integrating into the production stream for the standard distributions. From what I can tell this doesn't require Buckminster but a P2 repository that can be integrated.

I'm happy to work on whatever is necessary to make the standard distribution creation process work in preparation for JGit/EGit being incorporated. Just point me at the docs, I'm sure we can figure something out.

>>> I don't think a build system should be that intrusive and I actually don't think that m2eclipse/maven *is* that intrusive. That's why I'm advocating an alternative approach where the manifest can be checked in.
>>>

>> In the native project there is no manifest. So you're asking the project to work in an artificial way.
> But what harm will a manifest do?

Because the BND file and the POM are the canonical source of dependencies for these projects. The same reason checking in generated sources and resources into SCM is a bad idea: synchronization problems. I don't think it would be wise to give the impression the manifest is the canonical source of dependency information, and when people see it there that's what they will naturally think and we will be setting the wrong expectation.

> The bundle jar can be used as a common jar too right? If OSGi isn't present, the OSGi specific entries of the manifest will not matter. Or am I missing the point here?

Yes, you are. The manifest is not the source of dependency information in the case of the JGit project. The result bundle that is produced is just a JAR, yes. And the manifest is present there when the build is done, but it's not what's used during development of JGit.  That is being mediated by M2Eclipse during development.

It's probably not a horrible thing to check in the manifest but will probably lead to spurious results and I think it's better not to let that happen. The manifest information is abstracted in OSGi itself so we're going to exploit that fact and we have another source. We will, in short order make this work nicely with PDE. If PDE understands it then development should be smooth.