Re: [egit-dev] jgit and eclipse meta-data.

On 2010-01-09, at 5:56 AM, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Thomas Hallgren wrote:

>>> If you want me to check in .project and .classpath files, yes.
>>>
> That makes it hard for us (an I guess for other Eclipse projects as well) to use this bundle in other forms than as a binary.

It will work nicely with M2Eclipse installed. It will only get better.

When I see PDE-only projects I don't ask for a POM to make it work for Tycho, or a Maven POM. I just deal with what the project has selected. Every project can't support the infrastructure to satisfy the preference of every participant. For EGit it may still be a toss up whether to use Tycho, PDE Build, or Buckminster but I think it's the choice of the primary participants in the project that for JGit it's a Maven build.

We're going to continue to make M2Eclipse/Tycho work well with PDE. I don't think it's that much of a burden to install M2Eclipse.

> Our automated build is not based on Maven and it assumes that the source bundles that are checked out have necessary files such as the manifest present.

I'd be happy to try and add Maven capabilities if CI is problem. We definitely want proper CI. The CI build is going to have to mimic the build as it is so what are the steps to take in order to get first-class Maven support in Athena. Just point me in the right direction.

> I guess that any build based on PDE or Athena will have similar problems.

Why if they use the method that Igor is outlining?