Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

On 2010-01-06, at 12:44 PM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2010, at 17:25, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>
>> Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> So, this is the nub of the problem, right?
>>
>> It was a major contributor factor, yes.  Maven 3 installed a manifest-first pom into the repository
>> as-is, which meant that in order to read it you had to load up the
>> OSGi runtime and the p2 resolver used by Maven 3/Tycho.
>
> Jason,
>
> Does this mean that Maven 2 runtimes won't be able to consume anything generated by Tycho in Manifest-first mode?

That's what it means right now. Our first priority was manifest-first and getting that working with PDE which we've done. Then people started asking for mix-mode development where they had pom-first and manifest-first so we added support for that and it works in Tycho. So now going back the other way would be the next step. Which is not hard but in this case I don't believe it's the right way. For JGit it makes more sense to be pom-first and then have the tooling be able to deal with that.

That's not to say we can't turn Tycho project POMs into normal POMs. For Tycho the POM is just the driver for the build, we take the build information from the manifest. We would have to add this translation step. What you're asking for is complete round tripping which is possible. We just didn't have any requests from users for this behavior and we didn't need it ourselves.

> Is this a known bug, because it sounds like a limiting factor in being able to consume such manifest-first projects.

It's honestly not a use case people have asked for. The mixed mode is relatively new for Tycho.