Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2010, at 15:51, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>> Gerrit's build system is pom-first Maven 2.
>> It can't consume a manifest-first Maven 3 based build artifact.
>
> So, this is the nub of the problem, right?

It was a major contributor factor, yes.

> Not that we've got a split of
> vesions (Maven 1 vs Maven 2) but the fact that Maven 2 can't consume a
> Maven-3 built artifact.
>
> Why not? Maven 2 can consume a heck of a lot of Jars that aren't written
> by, for, or with Maven. If we use Maven 3 to build
> JGit-0.6.0-20100105.jar, then why can't Maven 2 suck that in as a binary
> and put it on the classpath?

Because Maven 3 installed a manifest-first pom into the repository
as-is, which meant that in order to read it you had to load up the
OSGi runtime and the p2 resolver used by Maven 3/Tycho.

I agree with you.  IMHO, Tycho is exporting the artifact wrong.

But I also have some hatred for the {Export,Import}-Package lines.
Needing to create 15+ Export-Package and matching Import-Package
rules everywhere just to use classes in JGit is beyond annoying.

Needing to update their version numbers by hand is plain wrong.
I might as well just write the class files by hand too.

Also, Tycho doesn't run offline right now.  :-(

--
Shawn.

Back to the top