Re: [e4-dev] IPartListener - really once more Listeners?

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

First of all I'm not sure why we are using Listeners here once more
instead of sending out the information through our EventBroker because
this once more traps our users into listener leaks.

We've been talking about this as well.

Our listener-for-information pattern has been replaced in Eclipse4 with IEclipseContext.get(*) + the RATs (a unit of work that depends on that information).  But while this pattern is great for information (the active part) and is scoped (the RAT is at a particular IEclipseContext instance) it probably doesn't translated well for some of our larger listener patterns, like partDeactivated/partHidden/partVisible etc.

So if firing events is a much better fit for events than the listeners, we would need to look at 1) the pattern over a couple of listeners we want to replace and 2) how can we scope it.  ex: our IEventBroker.subscribe(*) can take an LDAP filter as well as topic when registering a handler.  Do we need to add more information to our eventHandler properties that we use to register as a service?  Or is it properties in the event's that are posted that need extra information.

PW

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR