[dali-dev] Dali M5 status

All,

We have decided to hold off on releasing the refactored model into the M5 build.  Much hard work and late nights were put into the effort to get the code stable enough to release, but it's not quite there yet.  It is close, but it's not clear that it will be milestone quality in time (since we need to make the decision well before the milestone is declared).  For that reason and a number of others, we think the wise thing to do is to hold off given our proximity to M5.

The experimental branch (new model code) has been merged into Head, so all new development will be happening in Head.  We plan (with very high confidence) that this code will be released for the first I-Build of M6.  This build will be declared approximately 1 week after the M5 date (Feb 18th).  This would be the I-Build of Feb 22nd.

If there are any concerns with this plan, please let me know right away so we can consider the other options.  Otherwise we will continue working on the code in head, and will plan to release it as soon as M5 is declared.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I will be updating the Milestone plan to reflect these changes tomorrow - http://wiki.eclipse.org/Dali_2.0_planning.

Neil

Neil Hauge wrote:
David and others,

The experimental branch was created soon after the release of Europa and described briefly in this previous status email - http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/dali-dev/msg00518.html.  Specifically it's a branch off of Head called jpt_2_0_exp, which contains the proof of concept for a heavily refactored Dali model for 2.0.  The idea was to solve some of our biggest problems of complexity/maintainability, extensibility, and expandability in our current model.  We wanted to develop this concept in a branch since we weren't certain about whether the new changes would ultimately satisfy the requirements, and it since it would cause a lot of potentially unnecessary churn in the code base.  The original plan was to have these changes merged back into Head for M4 (assuming all was well), as suggested in previous versions of our milestone plan (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Dali_2.0_planning).  Unfortunately we were unable to meet this goal.

At this point, the new concept has proven itself worthy, and also something that would be tough to abandon, given the vast improvements it provides.  We are currently working on getting the UI functional on the refactored model, which is the main functional reason that the code hasn't yet been merged to Head.  We would like to get the new code merged into Head for M5, but unfortunately it would probably be toward the end of M5, rather than the beginning, which does carry a certain amount of risk.  As it is very important for adopters that this code is available in a build sooner rather than later, I will see if we could make the necessary minimum changes in order to get this code into an early M5 I-Build.  If this isn't possible, we would need to determine if late for M5 or early for M6 would be better.

I understand that we are getting to (or have gotten to) the point in the release where this amount of change can be undesirable.  I would like to take these concerns into consideration, and also weigh the benefits that the refactored model offers.  If there are questions or concerns about the direction of the Dali codebase for 2.0, please let us know by responding to this email and we will discuss as needed.  As a general statement, change will be required to work with the refactored model, but it should not be drastically different from the perspective of an adopter.  On the positive side, many of the model issues/limitations that our adopters have described should be resolved by the refactoring currently contained in the experimental branch.

Neil

David M Williams wrote:

There's been mention last two weeks of "experimental branch". What's that?
I assume will be merged into head soon after M4?

Thanks,