Re: [iot-wg] CoAP and CGN

Kai,
Julien,
all,

thanks so much for the clarifications. Since the NAT is not under “control” in a CGN scenario, it would be interesting so see how long the CGNs router can stay “open” long enough in such scenarios. My additional research concluded that CGNs seem to be not widely deployed in the wild (yet) by telcos, so this is probably more of a theoretical discussion right now. Has anyone gathered more information about already deployed CGNs in the wild for mobile networks, especially which telcos already use CGNs?

I’m interested in doing some experiments with the CoAP Observe feature over mobile networks in the future, I’m curious how this turns out. If anyone has experience with that yet and the non-obvious pitfalls, I would of course be very interested to learn how to avoid these pitfalls (beside doing excessive heartbeats). My feeling right now is, that CoAP over TCP would be the easiest and most reliable way for cloud to device communication with CoAP. If someone has already done a comparison of CoAP over TCP and MQTT in terms of protocol overhead, this information would also be very interesting.

Thanks for the great and valuable discussion,
Dominik

--
Dominik Obermaier

dc-square GmbH - Software Solutions
Innere Münchener Straße 30
84036 Landshut

Tel. +49 871 - 97506300
Fax. +49 871 - 97506329
Web. www.dc-square.de

Geschäftsführer Christian Götz, Dominik Obermaier
Registergericht Landshut, HRB 8906
USt.ID: DE283445184