Re: [iot-wg] CoAP and CGN

Hi,
Few things to add to Kai answer.
On mobile network we see only a few applications are really fine to keep the communication open all the time (for those one I prefer to use MQTT).
Why? Cost and power consumption.

In practice the device communicates regularly with the server (for example: every 15 min to once a week) or when some data are ready to send.
For that CoAP beat MQTT in byte consumption because DTLS PSK both way handshake is ~800 bytes where a usual TLS/TCP handshake is 4k~6k and piggybacked ack save also few more bytes over TCP ACKs.

For server to device communication, a lot of people use SMS as a way to wakeup the device (or you can put CoAP message in SMS).
Being attached on the network passively for receiving SMS and without an active IP session cost nothing and consume a fraction of the power of keeping a TCP/IP connection open.

Also a CoAP over TCP draft exists: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-coap-tcp-tls/
The idea is draft is to solve your issue and some compatibility problems with enterprise network which are blocking UDP.

Julien