Re: [flux-dev] Status update

On 8/4/2016 10:20 AM, Vershinin Fjodor wrote:
Hi!
GSOC final evolution is approaching, and I am little bit worried about how to present the work I have done in this project. The biggest problem is that my work was mostly in research field, so it's hard to summarize and it's easy to get lost during the research process. However, it's time to make final spurt in order to get something delivered to Eclipse Community, so I'm ready to hear some proposals, where I can put some effort in.

Currently, I am trying to implement the mechanism that detects changes among synced flux clients. What should happen if the receiver has file not in the same state? I would like to know more about how history of changes should work in that case. What about merging logic of file system synchronization. Eclipse flux plugin implementation and Flux file watcher implementation are using the same code to build messages and send to flux and receive messages. Should I change the way of message construction in flux codebase in the same way, like it is done in the flux file watcher or not?

You might want to consult some of the work that ECF did a long time ago based upon operational tranformation:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/RT_Shared_Editing

This was used to implement an Eclipse-based shared editor with consistency maintenance:

https://vimeo.com/1195398

The API that came of this the ECF 'sync' API...along with the cola shared editing app is still in ECF

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Extending_Real-Time_Shared_Editing_for_Use_with_Other_Editors

FWIW, I understand that operational transformation is what Google uses for shared editing in Google docs, spreadsheets, etc. I'm not sure whether that's still true, but that's what I've heard.

Scott

Back to the top