Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Vex: Empty Integration Build

This may take a few notes, before I understand what's being asked ... but, I'll give some answers and we'll go from there.

> 1. The Incubator WTP Build based Integration builds should eventually go
> away or be enhanced reworked due to the upcoming switch from CVS to Git
> as the repository.

I agree they should go away. It'd be great if someone wanted to integrate
Git with them and their underlying PDE build, but I won't be looking at
all this new stuff any time soon so don't want my schedule to hold you up.

> So I can setup a Vex Integration build, but will probably need help from
> David in regards to what needs to be done to promote that build to the
> appropriate folders and downloads area for WTP projects.

First, to clarify, the "build.eclipse.org/webtools/committers" build is the
URL to our "continuous" builds produced by cruisecontrol. I've configured cruisecontrol to "copy artifacts"
there after each build. You are welcome to do the same with hudson if you'd like.
The only restriction is you'd need a three part "project name" to fit in. Such as
we currently have "wtp-R3.2.0-S" as three parts. Under that a datetimestamp directory,
and under that the usually visible director such as S-3.2.0RC4-20100608222047 and under
that some "standard" files, and index.php file, testsumnary.xml, etc., which are expected
(and, no, not spec'd except "in the code"). :)

So, you're welcome to try and fit in there, if you'd like, with the understanding that
as continuous builds, they can be deleted just about any time. (And need to be "cleaned up"
if nothing else, on a regular basis, and the current cleaner might automatically work,
I think it's rule is to remove anything over 5 days old, but always leave at least one).

Next, I, S, and R builds all get "promoted" to the same place on download.eclipse.org.
These are normally mirrored (so should be limited in number and size), but the eclipse.org
infrastructure knows not to mirror directories starting with "I-". (and some other rules
I don't recall right now).

Those directories have a structure like
~/downloads/webtools/downloads/drops/Rx.y.z/<standard named directory>
where "standard named directory" is the normally visible directory, such as S-3.2.0RC4-20100608222047.

The key is they all have to start with I-, S-, or R- ... and similar index.php, testsummary.xml, etc.
same as in 'committers' area. I've pained to created some "common files" that work on both
download.eclipse.org, and build.eclipse.org.  There's many directories there, if you want to see examples.

The "common files" I mentioned scan directories and see what builds are available and "summarize" them,
allowing uses to "click down" to the specific build they want.

If we want/need to do many improvements here, we should probably move to more of "xml file" based system,
so the php script doesn't have to "scan the directories" so much, but instead the xml file contains
the summary info of where to find a build, and when that xml file is update is when the end user would
see new builds to click down to.

Hope this long note makes some sense ... and answers some questions at least. If this rambling brief
description doesn't turn you off completely and you want to pursue "integrating" multiple types of build
result directories perhaps we should continue in a bugzilla, so it'd be "self documenting".

But, there could be other, easier approaches ... and I might be completely misunderstanding what you were
asking :)

thanks,