[wtp-incubator-dev] Re: Build Signing

 >> While we're looking at the milestone build for suitability ...

Hmmm ... you are supposed to do that before a request to promote.
Guess that's another thing to learn.

>> Where does that date come from?
> The v* date comes from the date the build was run.

I think Dave meant to say "not" the date the build was run?
(the date on the zip file, is the date the build was run, though).

In the features and bundles, the v* dates are the date from the cvs
tag that is in the map file, as Dave implied. In a version such as
v201001160736-17Y-BgJ9E99OEhJOJ9, that gobbledygook after the v*
datetime is a "hash" composed of all parts of a feature. The idea
being that any small change in a feature, will still show the
feature as changed ... even if the feature definition itself didn't
change. All this is built in to the PDE build tasks.

>> This isn't a "problem" really until somebody reports a bug and can't
>> easily tell us what version they're using.

There is a function, under Help, About, Installation Details, Configuration,
that produces a big listing of all bundles and versions and other stuff. You'll want to
request this on many bug report, since even if users tell you they have
"version M2" of your stuff, you might find they have it installed with,
say, the Helios version of the Platform, or have some extra "interfering" bundles
installed, etc.  Complicated, I know ... we'd all like better user (and programmer)
friendly versioning of some sort. But its not done after years of discussion ...
because no one has done it yet.

>> I'm learning, but there always seems to be another gotcha.

Same here. Its amazing, isn't it? I hope its as fun for you as
it is for me, when not frustrating.

One thing to learn is that there is very little that happens for
free, or automatically, or perfectly consistently. That's true of
software development in general, of course, but especially true for
Open Development. It is important to test early, test often, and be
very explicit in communications, to the project, and the community.
I'm sure the fact that your mail isn't getting through doesn't help.
I hope that is fixed soon.

I can see how you might assume milestone builds to be "signed
automatically". But, the way things normally work is that a build is
produced, it is tested to see if it is as expected and the one that
is desired to be "declared" as the milestone (or what ever) and then
it is declared. I'm sure you can see how when I was asked to promote
that build, I also was making an assumption ... that all that
testing had taken place already and it was just as you expected.

One thing that would be helpful to WTP (if not all of Eclipse) is to
document some of these surprises you find ... so others might not
hit the same issues, or so we can improve things and remove the
surprise. You could produce pages on the Eclipse WTP wiki, or open
bugzillas.

For the specific issue of signing m2 or not, I remembered after I
sent my first note, it would be a bad idea to sign a build, and then
declare it without normal "milestone testing". There are a few cases
where signing can slow down performance (or, even "break" function).
Its unlikely any of those things would hit your code ... but, best
not to assume too much (to follow my own advice :)

> I'm just starting to get a feeling for the actual size of the
> community, and the limits of the foundation's resources.  Eclipse
> succeeds at creating a high profile externally, and has some
> prominent corporate sponsors, which inflates expectations to some
> degree.

From one view point, Eclipse resources are tiny, almost non-existent!
Unless you include committers like you and us, then as a group, we're huge. :)

I'll get you an "S" build job set up ... that does signing ...
and with enough notes here to this list, we'll settle on a process. I suggest you
may want to consider a M2a build in a couple of weeks, after testing signed versions.
You do so few builds, and are pretty small, so if you
really want each and every build signed ... we can do that too.
The worse performance hit for you, maybe, will be if you get in the gueue behind
another few hundred bundles waiting to be signed from a big project ... then it might
delay things an hour or two ... but, that'd rarely happen. Probably.  I think
they usually run three queues. A good load for the build server as reported by 'top',
I'm told, is "5 or less". These days, the machine is often overloaded at 15 or 20 ...
so, that's one reason why I'm careful. There is more hardware "on the way" ... I have
a feeling ... following typical programmer patterns of filling available space (and time)
... that it will be just as busy after a few months of operation. :)

BTW, a big part of the "signing services" was done by committers (there is little
development resource at Eclipse), so if you'd like to contribute some
improvements to the scripts, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Welcome to Eclipse! :)