[wtp-incubator-dev] Re: Build Signing

On 03/18/2010 06:28 PM, Sam Neth wrote:
While we're looking at the milestone build for suitability, I'm also trying to understand the versioning of the plugins; they're all 0.7.0.v*, where * starts with some date that isn't the date of the milestone. Where does that date come from? Is there any way for someone to determine what milestone they have by looking at installed plugins?

The v* date comes from the date the build was run. There is no way that I know of besides checking the date of the map files to determine the milestone version. Typically this hasn't been a problem with eclipse plugins.

I'm learning, but there always seems to be another gotcha. I don't quite understand how jar signing can be so expensive that it has to be micro-managed like this, but I think I either underestimate the magnitude of the build workload at eclipse, overestimate the size of the infrastructure it runs on, or both.

Think about it...You have 100+ eclipse projects all going through the same centralized signing server. Thus if every build was signed, it would back up the service, and has in the past. Projects very in size (small like XQDT) to larget like (WTP as a whole).

Dave

Back to the top