[wtp-incubator-dev] Fwd: JAX-WS Tools Component

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Clarke, Shane <shane.clarke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To get a discussion started on wtp-incubator-dev with a view to formulating a milestone/release plan for the JAX-WS Tools component. I'm going to start by covering some of the features we aim to provide.

JAX-WS Runtime Support:

  • CXF
  • Java 6
It would be good to do a review of "Runtime" definition and use as defined in Dali (for JPA), and JSF and JAX-WS, as they all have the same common features:

- Defines a set of jars that are  added to a project as a library
- Have the option of the library being provided by a runtime (jdk, appserver etc.)
- Managed as a facet

Metro (RI) implementation is a good candidate for seeking the first new contribution.

Tools:

There is a opportunity here to reuse in part some of the tooling from the STP Service Creation (SC) component which is now being retired.

@David: should we submit a IPZilla CQ before attempting to re-use any of the parts from the STP SC Component?

  • Annotations view: Possible to re-use (in part) the annotation view from the STP SC component. It's a property style view - currently tied to a STP nature. I've reworked this to open it for use with any Java project that has Java 6 or the appropriate jars on it's classpath. Still using older STP code behind the scenes. Needs to be updated to call the current code and the view itself could be updated to a tabbed properties view).  Another option would be to look at the Dali annotation tooling.

Although it is much simpler to bring over the existing(retired) annotation views, I think it is very worthwhile to have Neil Hauge and Dali guys involved to review the use of annotation tooling in Dali for JAX-WS.  Dali annotation tools already integrates with JDT (not an easy thing from what I heard).

  • Annotations Validation (JDT-APT. Works with any Java Project. More rules required here. Would provide easy-access bugzillas for contributors to handle)

  • JDT - Java Editor - Auto-Completion for Annotation values.

Better testing support with Web Service Explorer would also be very worthwhile - The last time I tried WSE had problems parsing cascased includes and imports for wsdls/xsds generated by JAX-WS but the effort would benefit both.

  • JAX-WS Handlers (Existing wizard in STP SC)
  • Add support for all the JAX-WS annotations throughout the tooling.
  • Provide tools to make it easier for users to take advantage of standards like WS-Security, WS-Policy and WS-Addressing,
    (Will seek community contributions here)
  • Additional Transports (JMS)

And of course create wiki pages adding in documentation, tutorials, videos etc.

--
Naci Dai - naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
eteration a.s.  itu ari-1 25 maslak istanbul tr

--
Naci Dai - naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
eteration a.s.  itu ari-1 25 maslak istanbul tr
ph: +90 212 328 0825 - fax: +90 212 328 0521

Back to the top