[wtp-incubator-dev] Re: JAX-WS Tools Component

> There is a opportunity here to reuse in part some of the tooling
> from the STP Service Creation (SC) component which is now being retired.

> @David: should we submit a IPZilla CQ before attempting to re-use
> any of the parts from the STP SC Component?

Assuming you are asking me? :)
There's a couple of issues and approaches. How much code does this
involve? If this is some whole plugin that was literally released with a
previous version of STP, then we should discuss more. I'd like to
understand the "retired" part better. (You know, normally old code is left
in place, deprecated, ... so just want to be sure I understand). Would
there be adopters impacted, for example? If previously, formally released
we may want to ask to see if we should do a "move review".

If you are just taking some files/classes from STP, which you originally
wrote, and re-working them to fit in here, then I think fine for you to
just do the re-work, and check in ... but the original copyright header
from the original file should remain, and a comment added to explain where
it originally came from, just for traceability. (And this is true if
copying any Eclipse class into our own wtp bundles.

If this framework was originally provided by others (committers or
companies), then probably best to run it through the CQ process just to be
safe and get the expert's advise. (For example, some companies sign up to
commit to only one project in Eclipse, not others ... as far as I know we
could still copy it, as long as we leave copyright intact ... but, just to
be safe, I'd like the Eclipse legal staff to know about such things and
advise us). If it is this later case, then the "rework" that involves
package
renames, and the headers (leaving intact, with a note on history) should
be done before submitting for CQ review.