Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Extensibility of XSLT editor menus, popups,

David Carver wrote:
Agreed....I'm just stating that we need to formalize this a bit more than we have. We to put some minimum amount of project management in place, and establish Milestones to work toward...otherwise development just kinds of happens at random on what everyone wants to work on. We each have our pet features to see done, but we need an overall plan to help guide it.

I'm all for using the wiki and bugzilla to document everything to be done for each milestone, makes it public to the potential user community. Which is why I suggested we look at doing an M1 build so that the community can kick the tires.

But what should go into the M1 release, and when should we target that. Which is why I was asking for some guidelines from WTP on how the Milestone process works so we can try to be as close to that as possible.
The only document I found about "the milestone process" is http://wiki.eclipse.org/Ganymede_Simultaneous_Release (or similar past document for Callisto and Europa). This basically defines coordinated milestones M1 through M7, then RC1-RC4 and then the release, with a staging of dependencies (where the platform itself is +0, EMF, DTP and others are +1 and WTP is at +2). API freeze is a M6, for WTP this would be April 7th. Each top level project has it's own So, this is not process as much as this is a plan.

That plan is useful to us since we will be dependent on several different new WTP and Eclipse API coming out in Ganymede. To know that API freeze is M6 and feature freeze is pretty much M7 (right?) is useful for us, and if we have a component of good quality in the RC phase, I guess we could apply for inclusion in the Ganymede Discovery Update Site (?), thus adding value for users, WTP and Eclipse, and as well as the externall distributions (MyEclipse, etc.)

However, until then (and certainly right now), WE should be focusing on XSL features, making a milestone plan (for ourselves) the outstanding bugs, setting up tests and continous builds, which bugs and API are fixed when. For ease of reference, we COULD relate this to the Ganymede plan (as a +2 ,or perhaps even +3, stage) and use that consistently in out communications, Bugzilla scheduling. Sounds like an idea?

The real question is: Who is willing to take up this coordinating role (telling people what to do), like a PM?

-Jesper

Back to the top