[wtp-incubator-dev] Extensibility of XSLT editor menus, popups, etc.

I'd like to propose, depending on how far bug 212330 goes when the new year comes around, that the XSLT project consider migrating as much functionality to the new org.eclipse.ui.menus extension point. This extension point allows other plugins to contribute commands and toolbars to existing plugins in a more extensible way. All that is required is to know the various ids that are related to the menus, toolbars, and popups. This works for editors, and views.

Bug 212330 is a proof of concept that I've worked on for the last week in order to migrate all the existing functionality that is implemented in the legacy menu api, over to the new extension point. In the past their were some problems, and even now there are a few tricks you need to do to get everything working the same way.

However, the advantage out weighs the learning curve in my opinion. Instead of having bits and pieces of the UI creation process spread over multiple pieces of java code, 90% of the user interface can be done in the plugin.xml file, with the supporting business and ui logic (if any) being handled in Handlers. Enablement, Activation, and Visiblity can all be controlled through Core Command Expressions.

I've created a work in progress Wiki page, that documents the major ids needed, as well as link to various resources and tips:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Table_of_WTP_IDs

Comments, suggestions,  rotten eggs? :)

Dave

Back to the top