Re: [vtp-dev] Unable to access the svn repository

Mike,

Thanks for your fast answer.

> You might want to send a note to the Eclipse IT guys to see if your
> permissions have been properly setup yet. Sometimes they wind up with
> questions and don't finish the job until you contact them. Try:
> webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx

I just sent them an email.

> I wish I was more knowledgeable to answer your other questions, but I
> will give it a try.
>
> I have asked before what the target JRE is, and never got an answer. I
> am writing to 1.5 myself.

In that case I need some more libraries. My text base interfaces rely on
the java xml streaming mechanism. It is available as jsr 173 for java 5
and part of java 6. For java 5 support I need two more jars.

> My guess is that the org.apache.log4j is widely used within Eclipse
> already. The legal process of contributing code probably requires you to
> somewhere declare that dependence. Likewise for your jvxml-client code.
> Since it was done outside the Eclipse project, it probably should be
> submitted as a contribution, with a proper Contribution Questionnaire
> filled out, and blessing from the Eclipse legal folks. Since it is your
> code, you can speak for it, and there should be little problem. I would
> say you should contribute the jar, not the code. The VTP project lead
> should have final say on that, however.

OK. I am waiting for the official statement...

> The Eclipse Foundation is very particular about making sure the legal
> status of code used in Eclipse is "squeaky clean", so anytime code is
> brought into the environment from outside, it has to go through approval
> processes. When I did the Tellme launcher in 2005, I wanted to use some
> third-party framework to generate Java classes to match a Windows DLL
> interface. In the end, the legal folks were not comfortable with that,
> and I wound up having to write everything myself by hand. Since I last
> did a contribution in 2005, the Foundation has done some refinement of
> the legal processes, and I have not gone through the new process myself
> yet. Good luck.
>
> I, too, noticed the missing rhino jar earlier when trying to build
> OpenVXML. My solution was to stop building it. I don't even need it for
> the work I am doing anyway.

Well, with java 6 it should be possible to use the java script support
that comes with this JDK. The code is a bit different since you need to
obtain a ScriptEngineManager for rhino first.

/dirk

Back to the top