[vtp-dev] Need library for Eclipse - Skype link on Linux

Milestone 2 of the VTP includes the Tellme Browser, which launches voice applications on Tellme Studio via the Skype phone client. Today we have only a Windows implementation.

The only part of the plugin that is OS-dependent is the interface to the Skype client API from the Java environment. This is accomplished by creating a dynamic linkable library for the OS. In Windows, this is a .dll file.

The Java-Skype interface involves a Java class that provides methods to initialize, connect, send a message, and destroy the connection. The Java class in turn calls on native methods (using JNI) which are embodied in a platform-specific library. The platform-specific library is often written in C or C++, and the Java SDK provides the proper include files for C/C++ to define the JNI constructs. The Windows-specific library is written in C++.

Skype has clients for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. We would like to have versions of the Java-Skype interface for all the platforms. To make the Java-Skype interface work on those platforms requires only that a version of the platform-specific library be written for each platform.

I have a volunteer developer working on the Mac OS X version right now. But there is no one currently signed up for the Linux version.

Information about the Skype API implementation on Linux can be found here:  http://share.skype.com/developer_zone/documentation/api_reference/#Linux

A specification for the library interfaces is attached.

n       Mike

PS:  I will be out of the country for the next 3 weeks, but Brent has a good idea of what is involved, too, and may be able to answer questions.