Re: [vtp-dev] Need library for Eclipse - Skype link on Linux

I'd like to note that Matthew Johnson has generously allowed his DBus java bindings at the URL below to be licensed under the terms of the EPL. It should greatly simplify adding linux support. Thanks, Matthew!

http://www.matthew.ath.cx/projects/java/

--
Brent D. Metz
Enterprise Voice Tools

"Michael Greenawalt" <mgreenawalt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: vtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/01/2006 07:48 PM

Please respond to
Voice Tools general developers <vtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Voice Tools general developers" <vtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[vtp-dev] Need library for Eclipse - Skype link on Linux

Milestone 2 of the VTP includes the Tellme Browser, which launches voice applications on Tellme Studio via the Skype phone client. Today we have only a Windows implementation.

The only part of the plugin that is OS-dependent is the interface to the Skype client API from the Java environment. This is accomplished by creating a dynamic linkable library for the OS. In Windows, this is a .dll file.

The Java-Skype interface involves a Java class that provides methods to initialize, connect, send a message, and destroy the connection. The Java class in turn calls on native methods (using JNI) which are embodied in a platform-specific library. The platform-specific library is often written in C or C++, and the Java SDK provides the proper include files for C/C++ to define the JNI constructs. The Windows-specific library is written in C++.

Skype has clients for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. We would like to have versions of the Java-Skype interface for all the platforms. To make the Java-Skype interface work on those platforms requires only that a version of the platform-specific library be written for each platform.

I have a volunteer developer working on the Mac OS X version right now. But there is no one currently signed up for the Linux version.

Information about the Skype API implementation on Linux can be found here:  http://share.skype.com/developer_zone/documentation/api_reference/#Linux

A specification for the library interfaces is attached.

n       Mike

PS:  I will be out of the country for the next 3 weeks, but Brent has a good idea of what is involved, too, and may be able to answer questions.
 [attachment "Specifications for SkDialer library.doc" deleted by Brent D Metz/Boca Raton/IBM] _______________________________________________
vtp-dev mailing list
vtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx