Re: [ve-dev] VE 1.5 development plan

Making an extra file to store the gui in (like netbeans does) is bad if
that
file goes out of sync or is lost that .java file basiclly becomes useless.
(Unless that file can be recreated from the .java file if lost which at
that
point makes it only usefull if it makes the editor respond faster.)
I am not against the idea of delarative ui, im only against what netbeans
gui desginer does (That extra .form file that sometimes goes out of sync
or
is lost and leaves you stuck)
Although the designer in itself has great useability.

I have an opposite position. The Static UI should be separated in
different file. It is what we said the separation of UI with business
logic.

The synchronization between files are always to keep. You can not develop
an application in one file.

Hi all,
I support the idea of separation of static UI and the code. I think it is a greate idea, like separation of DB layer and business logic.

Look widely:
  1. It will be easier to make application with support of different screen devices. Only UI files need to be created for different screen devices. See also item 4.
  2. It can be a step to compatibility between platforms, IDE's or technologies. One UI declaration can be used with different IDE's or even platforms. For example, there are  java version of XAML - http://www.soyatec.com/eface/
  3. UI files can be stored at client or server and rendered at client screen device with event handling on client or server  (via Web Services or native remoting). Client can be as rich as needed, - from thin (like inet browser) to completely rich (like standalone desktop application). And all this  with one UI declaration! The division of web and desktop applications going away. No complexity of web applications.
  4. UI design can be created and changed without programmers! Some users (designers) draw UI, creating files with UI declaration and programmers starts their part from event handling, working with other files.

Back to the top