Re: [ve-dev] VE 1.5 development plan

Java is not a good solution to store UI structure:
  1. Difficult to decode and encode
  2. Static aspect and business logic are mixed up, it is always a mass
  3. Very limited to support advanced features such as data binding,
reusable component, etc

Please look at the incubator project - e4 XWT.
I am talking about swing though...
Making an extra file to store the gui in (like netbeans does) is bad if that file goes out of sync or is lost that .java file basiclly becomes useless.
(Unless that file can be recreated from the .java file if lost which at that point makes it only usefull if it makes the editor respond faster.)
I am not against the idea of delarative ui, im only against what netbeans gui desginer does (That extra .form file that sometimes goes out of sync or is lost and leaves you stuck)
Although the designer in itself has great useability.

Especially due to group layout which makes gui designing easy and feel like it feels in visual studio.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:31 PM, <yves.yang@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>But I think we should not touch the current architecture for two reasons:
> 1.       Heavy tasks
> 2.       Break the compatibility.
> So it is possible to make the VE run in a single VM but it will require
> some
> work...
> Well this should be looked at later on cause it will provide a good
> performance increase due to eliminating cross VM communication overhead.

I think we agree: 2 JVMs isn't a critical issue. It is nice to have.

>>And the development UI in Java is very low level.  We should focus on
>> high
>> level and domain oriented solution based on declarative UI,  which could
>> be used by graphic designer and application domain developer.
> Well whatever you do just make sure to keep it working with only the .java
> file (not adding any extra files required to actually load the class,
> adding some for cache and performance boost is OK)

Java is not a good solution to store UI structure:
  1. Difficult to decode and encode
  2. Static aspect and business logic are mixed up, it is always a mass
  3. Very limited to support advanced features such as data binding,
reusable component, etc

Please look at the incubator project - e4 XWT.

yves