Re: [tycho-user] Tycho and dependencyManagement

>> The only reason why it is bad to have repositories listed directly in
>> your pom.xml is that maven has this brilliant/bad/weird idea that
>> anyone that depend on such a pom also need to get that repository
>> added into their build - its basically "leaking" in the build details
>> of how projext X was built into projext Y which is just *using* not
>> building project X.
>>

> Ummm... I am pretty sure Maven will handle such indirectly configured
> repositories correctly.

How ? afaik, it will use *all* repositories defined in my and any transitive dependent projects to try and resolve dependencies which causes nondeterministic resolution.

Thats at least what http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/02/why-putting-repositories-in-your-poms-is-a-bad-idea/ talks about and what i've seen everytime I've used projects that had repositories listed in their pom's.

> Unless you use mirrorOf=* (or external:*) in
> settings.xml, which is exactly the reason I avoid mirrorOf.

Afaik this is the only way to actually work around this problem of foreign repositories get into your build ? do you know of something better ? :)

/max

Back to the top