Re: [tycho-user] Not seeing repositories from feature.xml files in content.xml/jar

On 11/15/2011 06:54 AM, Oberlies, Tobias wrote:
So there are different things which could happen:

1. When a user installs one of your features, your update site is added to the list of software sites. This should work out of the box when you build a feature with Tycho and have the corresponding field set in the feature.xml. IIRC, this doesn't work, so this may be worth a bug report.
2. When a user contacts a repository, other repositories are also added to the list of software site. IMHO, this is the wrong approach. Why would I want updates of a project if I didn't install anything from the project? You say that this is the current behaviour of the Indigo release train site - but still I wouldn't want to support this in Tycho. IMHO, option 1 is the way to go.
3. When a user contacts your repository directly, all repositories to resolve dependencies are automatically added to the list of software sites. I would consider this concept as deprecated - a p2 composite repositories is what you should create in that case instead.

So you wanted option 2 - but would option 1 be good enough for you as well?

Yes, option 1 would be sufficient and you are correct in that it does not appear to work as evidenced by our missing update site in the available list on Indigo. What component should a bug be opened against?

With some researching, it appears that all current tycho builds are ending up in the same boat as us. The references tags in content.xml were obviously being added by pdebuild and they aren't being added for tycho builds. The latest CDT builds no longer have the references since moving over to tycho.

-- Jeff J.

Regards
Tobias

-----Original Message-----
From: tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tycho-user-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Johnston
Sent: Montag, 14. November 2011 18:05
To: tycho-user@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [tycho-user] Not seeing repositories from feature.xml files
in content.xml/jar

The repository we want is actually our own update site.  This isn't the
same as the one used for Eclipse train aggregation.  So, for example,
for indigo-sr1, we specified update-indigo-sr1 for the aggregation.  Our
project may have point releases between the time of SR1 and SR2 and
those will be placed in our regular update site ("update").

When a user goes to the indigo update site for the first time, all the
sub-projects that have their own update sites specified in their
content.xml files are automatically added to the list of update sites
available.  This means the user doesn't have to manually input the
update site for ptp, CDT, EMF, etc...  They too have separate update
sites from the aggregation site.

When we were using a pde-build mechanism, this worked fine and now that
we have switched to tycho, it no longer works.  The problem was tracked
down to the missing repository references in our content.xml.  Right
now, we are one of the only sub-projects that doesn't have its site
added to the update site list.

I am trying to figure out if we are missing a step or parameter or
whether the call to tycho-p2-publisher-plugin should have done this for
us.  I don't want to have a manual step at the end of build.

-- Jeff J.