RE: [technology-pmc] Nexus project

> What are the other aspects?

The other aspect is to provide home for end-users features that can't find a home in another project. A good example of this would be the image viewer component that Eugene was trying find a home for. There are many others like that. SOC projects would probably fall into this category.

> It's not clear what ECF's contribution will be. I thought that ECF will
> move to RT. But based on the proposal it looks like ECF will move with
> all it's major components to Nexus.

That one always confused me, but I never followed up with Scott to understand what he had in mind. I don't think he was suggesting putting all of ECF under Nexus, but rather some of the ECF components. Why that's desirable I am unclear on. I will follow up with Scott.

> I have no strong opinion on the name. Nexus is ok. But if it's goal
> really is something like Apache Commons than "Commons" would be a better
> fit.

The name is really the last thing we need to be discussing, but I might as well give a little history on the "Nexus" name at this point. The original name that I started shopping this idea around with was indeed "Eclipse Commons". This generated rather strong negative reactions in a lot of people at Eclipse. I guess many folks see Apache Commons as a dumping ground and are against creating a similar dumping ground at Eclipse. Since I believed the idea to be valid, regardless of the perceived or real flaws in its implementation at Apache, I thought it prudent to change the name to avoid negative associations. Since one of the primary goals was to facilitate code sharing and interaction between projects, I chose Nexus because it embodies that concept in a short term that is easy to say.

nexus
-noun, plural nex.us.es, nex.us.
1. a means of connection; tie; link.
2. a connected series or group.
3. the core or center, as of a matter or situation.
4. Cell Biology. a specialized area of the cell membrane involved in intercellular communication and adhesion.

Oracle
Konstantin Komissarchik | Consulting Member of Technical Staff
Phone: +1 425 201 1795 | Mobile: +1 206 898 0611
Oracle Eclipse Tooling
411 108th Ave NE, Suite 2100 | Bellevue, WA 98004