Re: [technology-pmc] Nexus project

Wouldn't the image viewer be a good addition to the Tools project? Sounds like a tool to me...

Wayne

Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:
What are the other aspects?

The other aspect is to provide home for end-users features that can't find a home in another project. A good example of this would be the image viewer component that Eugene was trying find a home for. There are many others like that. SOC projects would probably fall into this category.

It's not clear what ECF's contribution will be. I thought that ECF will
move to RT. But based on the proposal it looks like ECF will move with
all it's major components to Nexus.

That one always confused me, but I never followed up with Scott to understand what he had in mind. I don't think he was suggesting putting all of ECF under Nexus, but rather some of the ECF components. Why that's desirable I am unclear on. I will follow up with Scott.

I have no strong opinion on the name. Nexus is ok. But if it's goal
really is something like Apache Commons than "Commons" would be a better
fit.

The name is really the last thing we need to be discussing, but I might as well give a little history on the "Nexus" name at this point. The original name that I started shopping this idea around with was indeed "Eclipse Commons". This generated rather strong negative reactions in a lot of people at Eclipse. I guess many folks see Apache Commons as a dumping ground and are against creating a similar dumping ground at Eclipse. Since I believed the idea to be valid, regardless of the perceived or real flaws in its implementation at Apache, I thought it prudent to change the name to avoid negative associations. Since one of the primary goals was to facilitate code sharing and interaction between projects, I chose Nexus because it embodies that concept in a short term that is easy to say.
nexus
-noun, plural nex.us.es, nex.us.
1. a means of connection; tie; link.
2. a connected series or group.
3. the core or center, as of a matter or situation.
4. Cell Biology. a specialized area of the cell membrane involved in intercellular communication and adhesion.

Oracle
Konstantin Komissarchik | Consulting Member of Technical Staff