Re: [stp-dev] Intermediate Meta-Model Discussion - Update

Hi Adrian,

Looking at the hybrid model that you've proposed, I can get the Service, Owner and ServiceClass entities. Are the pieces to the right of that for capturing the BPEL / BPMN pieces? I'm guessing that to be the case, but would just like to make sure.

Exactly, we thought these pieces would be a sort of the bare minimum to have in the model, things that might map [easily] from BPMN/BPEL to something like SCA and JBI. An example would be of a process made up of several steps that invoke services which would map to an SCA composite having those services inside, or to a JBI assembly. Obviously, a representation in SCA or JBI of a process does not carry at all the same semantics as it does in BPMN/BPEL. However, the point is that we'd carry as much information as possible to these editors so that we remove work duplication.

Does the Service entity need some more fleshing out? I'm not sure how the SCA & JBI models which hold info such as bindings maps over to this, or if even you would like to bring this information into the model. I know we're aware that there may be some data loss when going between the models, but a hybrid should capture all the information that would ultimately be key to execution on a particular runtime.

I think your question raises an important point: do we put runtime- specific information in this model (such as binding information) or do we leave it at a "logical" level, i.e. functional architecture? Since the purpose of this model is to carry as much information as possible and needed between editors (rather than being a pure breed model of any particular kind), I think you might be right, and we could enrich it with this sort of information. For editors where this would not be applicable (like BPMN?) we would simply not save/use these pieces of data.

One thing that takes my interest is I'd like to be able to use two additional editors not mentioned here, a WSDL editor and the eclipse JDT Java editor. So when doing Java first for example, I have a bunch of annotations that define my web service. These would certainly contain the interface definition, but also potentially the more physical information about the service such as binding / transport that it runs on. In addition the WSDL model coming from the WSDL editor would need to be represented as an interface and some physical information. So if we're publishing this into the hybrid model, I think this info would be required.

I agree, similar to above.

I'll stop here for now, my questions might be my lack of understanding of the model. Perhaps you'd have some time tomorrow to join our STP planning call and we could look into this in some more detail?

Yes, I will take part in tomorrow's discussion in the STP planning call, and my colleague Alain Boulze might join in as well.

Looking forward to talking to you guys!

best regards,
Adrian.

Back to the top