Re: [stellation-res] Progress on Windows port

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 08:42:08AM -0400, Jonathan Gossage wrote:
> I have been working on getting Stellation to work properly under Windows. I
> have completed the following tasks.
>
> 1. I have implemented Windows versions of the launchers svc.sh and server.sh
> called svc.bat and server.bat respectively

Great!

> 2. I have modified the Ant build.xml file to support Windows installation
> and to remove any environment specific paths from the build.xml file. The
> Windows specific changes include separating out Unix and Windows targets for
> install-client,  install-server, and the internal target script. These
> targets now behave in a platform specific manner when preparing and
> installing the scripts used as launchers. The platform specific behaviour is
> invoked automatically depending on the platform Ant is running on.

Very good. I recently upgraded to Ant 1.5.1 (we were at 1.4) and will be using
it for all install/build/configure work. 1.5.1 adds Condition and Checksum which
are very useful.

> In addition I have removed all environment specific specifications and
> placed them into the Ant pre-processor batch file. On Unix this is
> "~/.antrc". On Windows this is %HOME%\antrc_pre.bat. I have prepared samples
> of these files for both platforms that define the environment sensitive
> information that was previously hard coded in the build.xml file.

I'm not so sure about this, but need to look at what you have done.

> 3. I have developed a Windows batch file based analogue to the test scripts
> currently stored in org.eclipse.stellation.misc/tests/scm/misc and I have
> implemented the first two tests. During this process I discovered problems
> in the repository text merge support and I have created a bug report
> Bugzilla 25093 covering this problem. I also created a Junit test case that
> exhibits the problem and attached the relevant files to the bug report.
> Could someone please run this under Linux to determine whether this is a
> Windows only phenomem or not?
>
> 4. I noticed in a recent post that there is a plan to convert all the script
> based merge tests to Junit based tests. If this is the case, is there any
> benefit in proceeding with the conversion of the Unix based scripts to
> Windows based scripts.

No. We should do these tests via Junit (preferred) or using Ant. Ant provides
enough shell-like capability that it could be used; for example, using checksum
instead of diff (which is not available on Windows) to check test results.

> If you want to do this conversion to Junit and have not started it yet, I
> could do it for you because I need to be able to run these tests, and
> others,to be able to confirm the correctness of Stellation on Windows.

That would be great.

dave

--
Dave Shields, IBM Research, shields@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.