Re: [spaces-dev] SVN or CVS?

Hi Bjorn,
While were on the subject. I have a related question on the IP/licensing topic.

CVS is developed and released under GPL. The Eclipse CVS client is clean-room and of course EPL. Yet it implements a GPL'ed protocol and can only function together with a GPL'ed server installation.

SVN on the other hand, is Apache/BSD style license. The svnClientAdapter, and the JavaHL CLI, is also Apache/BSD. The Subclipse and Subversive clients are both EPL. The only part I know has a GPL'ish license is the optional SVNKit.

From a laymans perspective, it really looks like SVN whould have the upper hand :-). I know that Subclipse revoked their submission since they could not make it pass the Eclipse IP barrier for some reason. I still haven't understood what that reason was. Obviously it must have a more apparent GPL dependency then the one from the CVS client. What is it that blocks Subversive?

- thomas

Bjorn Freeman-Benson wrote:
Given that the Subversive project is the official Eclipse subversion interface and that the Subversive project makes use of some GPL code, which is a no-no, the Subversive project is currently held up in the Eclipse IP review. I suggest that we switch to working with CVS until the Subversive legal issues are resolved. Specifically, since the next thing we are working on is "Share...", we should Share to a CVS server for now.

Thoughts?