From: spaces-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:spaces-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Thomas Hallgren
Sent: lördag 4 augusti 2007 01:19
To: Developer discussions for the Spaces project
Subject: Re: [spaces-dev] SVN or CVS?

Hi Bjorn,
While were on the subject. I have a related question on the IP/licensing
topic.

CVS is developed and released under GPL. The Eclipse CVS client is
clean-room and of course EPL. Yet it implements a GPL'ed protocol and
can only function together with a GPL'ed server installation.

SVN on the other hand, is Apache/BSD style license. The
svnClientAdapter, and the JavaHL CLI, is also Apache/BSD. The Subclipse
and Subversive clients are both EPL. The only part I know has a GPL'ish
license is the optional SVNKit.

 From a laymans perspective, it really looks like SVN whould have the
upper hand :-). I know that Subclipse revoked their submission since
they could not make it pass the Eclipse IP barrier for some reason. I
still haven't understood what that reason was. Obviously it must have a
more apparent GPL dependency then the one from the CVS client. What is
it that blocks Subversive?

- thomas