Re: [riena-dev] Riena Update

Hi Scott,
Am 02.01.2009 um 21:29 schrieb Scott Lewis:

Hi Christian,

Christian Campo wrote:
Hi Scott,

happy new year you too....

Its ok for me if you write down a Note on the wiki page about ECFs
goal or why you think ECF goals are in sync. If you like to post that
note also here or just a link is really your decision. If the Note
gets longer, you might as well put it on a seperate page and link from
my Rienas Goals page. (either way is good)

I think its easiest if you just write down what you have in mind. I
can either review it or just look at in the wiki page. Whatever you want.

Ok great.

I am sure that ECF could implement all the goals on the wiki page. I
just named those that we have already implemented. So maybe in your
Note you want to distinguish between what is implemented and what
could be implemented.

Yes, I will do this.  I also intend to make clear the distinction
between what we believe should be in a general remote services API (e.g.
leaving up to the remote service designer the question of whether the
remote service is accessed via proxies...i.e. transparently, or whether
it's accessed via asynch/messaging based...i.e. explicitly), and what
implementations can/do encourage...e.g. network transparent remote
access...e.g. Riena). In other words, there is a general question IMHO
of what remoting APIs should/must enable to deal with a variety of use
cases, versus which use cases they are best suited for. I believe this
applies to transparency, as well as to several other areas you outline
on the goals page (e.g. stateless, connection less, discovery optional, transparent user context, progress monitoring, marshalling technology).

What I hear you saying is that it will become a longer article. I would recommend that you put it on a seperate Wiki page (so that this one existing page does not get too long) and then we link the two together. Just that we keep a good structure here.....

I agree that there are some general questions but I disagree that there are necessarily general answers that fit all use cases. But I wait and see what you write down.

does that work for you ?

Sure. I would like to see some input from you and/or Riena team on the questions that I raise (e.g. distinction between API and implementation
design goals, and relationship with ECF)...especially prior to 1.0
release review...as I believe they are germane both to the usability of
the work by the community of folks wanting to do remoting for OSGi, as
well as germane to the project's role within the set of Eclipse
Foundation projects...but I will bring them up myself if you are not
able/willing/sufficient time.

I am planning the release review for 1.0 for Riena for end of January. I think the Release is unrelated to this general discussion. But its up to you to create that connection and bring it up. I can sure supply feedback as time permits.

Thanks,

Scott