Re: [riena-dev] Riena Update

Hi Christian,

Happy New Year to you and other Rieners.

I intend to write a note describing why I think the Riena goals are in line with ECF's goals for remote services,...and suggesting again that Riena_RemoteServices be used as the basis of a provider implementation of ECF's remote services API (along with any necessary improvements/extensions of the ECF remote services API itself in the ECF 3.0 release cycle). Two questions:

1) Would you or others like to work with me in doing this?

2) Would you rather have the output sent

a) here (to this maling list)?
b) on the Riena_RemoteServices goals page?
c) both?

Thanks,

Scott

Christian Campo wrote:
Hi Rienaers,

happy new year !!!

I have done a number of changes to Remote Services.
One is that the RemoteServiceFactory will now always require a BundleContext to register a Remote Service Proxy. That proxy is than bound to the lifecycle of that BundleContext. That is a much cleaner approach than the optional hostId that existed previously. I have also fixed a number of issues with the Attachment object, we know use the Hessian2 protocol all the way through and the servlet for Hessian was renamed to RienaHessianDispatcherServlet. There is also a new Exception ProxyAlreadyRegisteredFailure which is thrown when a remote service proxy already exists.

These changes also pulled a lot of changes in dependant code like testcases, samples etc. which I committed.

These changes are documented in http://wiki.eclipse.org/Riena_New_And_Noteworthy#RC1 our new New and Noteworthy Wiki section. And yes we are aiming for a Release Candidate. The plan is to have that candidate ready by the 16th of January.

Please add any changes or fixes you do to the New and Noteworthy section.

- christian

p.s. I also took the time between the year to write a little wiki page about the Goals and Motivation for Remote Services in Riena. That was recommended by one of our mentors. http://wiki.eclipse.org/Riena_RemoteServices