Re: [ptp-user] A command and a question about Synchronized Projects in Indigo

On 05/17/2011 08:16 PM, Roland Schulz wrote:

> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Corey Ashford
> <cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Greg,
>
>     Thanks for the quick reply!
>
>     By the way, I should have mentioned that I'm working with Eclipse Indigo
>     RC1.
>
>     I just tried what you suggested, but I wasn't able to get it to work.
>     First, I cannot delete the existing include paths.  I was able to add
>     the remote path, as you suggested, but it didn't seem to "take".  The
>     path does show up in the list of include paths, at the top, but perhaps
>     something I didn't set up it correctly, because when I try to open the
>     twisty in the Includes tree of the project in the Project Explorer, it
>     shows no entries.  Furthermore, if I re-run the indexing operation, I
>     still get the local /usr/include/string.h file.
>
>     Two other things I'm finding:
>
>     1) Remote makes don't seem to work.  When I attempt it, I'm seeing this
>     error:
>
>     !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 2 2011-05-17 17:12:05.902
>     !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in:
>     "org.eclipse.core.resources".
>     !STACK 0
>     java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>     org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.sync.core.BuildConfigurationManager (initialization
>     failure)
>

> I just tested it with
> http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/builds/8.0.0/I.I201105160958/index.html
> eclipse-SDK-3.7RC1
> http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ptp/builds/indigo/I.I201105171836/index.html
>
> and that worked. Please let us know if you keep getting an error with
> PTP and CDT at least those two versions
> (as of this email
> http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ptp/builds/indigo/I.I201105172207/index.html
> is the latest)
>

>     2) Quite frequently I'm seeing a hang condition where there are multiple
>     "Remote Synchronization" processes running in Eclipse, all of which
>     appear to be in a hung state, making no progress.  I'm seeing quite a
>     few Java stack dumps.  Here's a typical one:
>
>     sync failed:
>     org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.sync.git.core.RemoteSyncException:
>
>     org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.sync.git.core.GitRemoteSyncConnection.syncLocalToRemote(GitRemoteSyncConnection.java:546)
>            ... 3 more
>     Caused by: java.io.IOException: Invalid packet line header: sh -
>            at
>     org.eclipse.jgit.transport.PacketLineIn.readLength(PacketLineIn.java:193)
>            at
>

> But it also works sometimes? Or does every sync attempt produce this
> error? Could you check whether the local files have been copied to the
> remote directory?

Sync'ing works most of the time, and I do see changes reflected in the
remote filesystem.

> What type (bash/dash/...) and version is the remote /bin/sh?

I'm trying with two different remote targets.  On is a POWER machine
running RHEL 5.6, and has bash 3.2

The other is my laptop (accessed via remote tools but from the same
machine), and it runs bash 4.1

> What
> version of git do you have installed remotely?

POWER 1.7.0.4
laptop 1.7.4.4

> What version of JGit do you have in your Eclipse (Help->Install new
> Software->Already installed->Plug-Ins you should find "JGit Core")?

0.12.1

> Can you start Eclipse from a console? Do you get any additional errors
> printed to the console?

Well, I have updated the PTP plug-ins to 5.0.0.201105180645, and things
seem to be working *much* better.  In fact, the remote includes ability
that Greg Watson showed me how to do is working now as well.  That's
very impressive!

I tried an example "ANSI C Hello World" project, and indexing appears to
be working fine, and it can invoke make remotely, but I think the
project is missing its Debug and Release config directories and so the
Makefiles are missing; I say this because I see this error message in
the console:

/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /home/corey/workspace_RC1_c/hw2/Debug: No such file
or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.

Here's what ls -R looks like on the remote dir (.git subdirs removed for
brevity)

./
../
.cproject
.git/
.project
.settings/
src/

./.settings:
./
../
org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.prefs

./src:
./
../
hw2.c

> BTW: In case you are interested to help, any help is of course very
> welcome (as in every OpenSource project). Very probably won't have time
> to implement the "sync branch" idea in the next 1-2 months. So any help
> would speed that up. Of course testing/feedback alone is also very welcome!

OK.  I can't commit to helping out with the code until we decide on the
direction we are going with our SDK.  Also, we would need to get
internal approval to contribute to the PTP project (we are in the
process of requesting it).

Nonetheless, I like this so much already, that I may advocate its use
for other things internally.  In particular, I think this could be an
excellent solution for remote Linux kernel development.

- Corey

Back to the top