Re: [ptp-dev] Questions about remote support

On Oct 2, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Dave Wootton wrote:

I updated from CVS this morning and am looking at remote proxy support
now. I have a couple questions.
1) I tried to create a remote resource manager. When I went thru the
wizard, I am unable to create anything other than a local resource manager
since the
'new' button is grayed out and the only choice in the dropdowns is local. I tried looking at a RSE view where I can create new connections, but that
doesn't help.

Do you have the org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse plugin in your workspace?

2) My parallel tab has a number of places where I use a FileDialog or
DirectoryDialog to browse for a file or directory. I need to replace these
classes with something else, but I'm not sure what. I see the
IRemoteFileManager interface, but I only see an implementation of
LocalFileManager.

Is the browseRemoteFile method sufficient, or do you need additional functionality (e.g. a remote version of FileDialog)? The RSE version of IRemoteFileManager is defined in the org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse plugin.

3) It looks like the browseRemoteFile method expects an IRemoteConnection
parameter. How would I obtain an instance of this class from within my
parallel tab implementation?

Good question. You need to get your ResourceManagerConfiguration and then do something like this:

	MyResourceManagerConfiguration config = ...something...;
IRemoteServices remoteServices = PTPRemotePlugin.getDefault ().getRemoteServices(config.getRemoteServicesId()); IRemoteConnectionManager connMgr = remoteServices.getConnectionManager(); IRemoteConnection conn = connMgr.getConnection (config.getConnectionName());

Greg

Back to the top