Re: [ptp-dev] Questions about remote support

Greg
I had org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse in my workspace as a closed project
because I was getting compile errors and did not need it earlier. I opened
the project and am still gettng compile errors even after completely
replacing with the latest version from HEAD. (can't copy/paste messages)
1) IRSESystemType.SYSTEMTYPE_SSH_ONLY_ID cannot be resolved
2) method connect(boolean) in type ISubSystem not applicable for arguments
(NullProgressMonitor, boolean)
3) method getTheCoreRegistry undefined for type RSECorePlugin
4) method isRestoreComplete() undefined for type IRSEPersistenceManager
5) method launchShell(IProgressMonitor, String, String) in IShellService
not compatible with args String, String[], NullProgressMonitor
6) method restrictSystemTypes(String[]) in type SystemNewConnectionAction
not applicable for args IRSESystemType[])

Do I maybe have an out of date set of RSE plugins? I downloaded the ones I
had a couple months ago. It looks like I have version 1.0.1.* where * is a
date in Nov/Dec 2006. If I run the update manager in Eclipse, it doesn't
seem to be finding anything newer.

I need remote equivalents to FileDialog and DirectoryDialog, since the way
my parallel tab is set up, I provide a browse button to allow the user to
navigate to the desired file or directory.
Dave

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/02/2007 11:45 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject

On Oct 2, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Dave Wootton wrote:

> I updated from CVS this morning and am looking at remote proxy support
> now. I have a couple questions.
> 1) I tried to create a remote resource manager. When I went thru the
> wizard, I am unable to create anything other than a local resource
> manager
> since the
> 'new' button is grayed out and the only choice in the dropdowns is
> local.
> I tried looking at a RSE view where I can create new connections,
> but that
> doesn't help.

Do you have the org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse plugin in your workspace?

> 2) My parallel tab has a number of places where I use a FileDialog or
> DirectoryDialog to browse for a file or directory. I need to
> replace these
> classes with something else, but I'm not sure what. I see the
> IRemoteFileManager interface, but I only see an implementation of
> LocalFileManager.

Is the browseRemoteFile method sufficient, or do you need additional
functionality (e.g. a remote version of FileDialog)? The RSE version
of IRemoteFileManager is defined in the org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse
plugin.

> 3) It looks like the browseRemoteFile method expects an
> IRemoteConnection
> parameter. How would I obtain an instance of this class from within my
> parallel tab implementation?

Good question. You need to get your ResourceManagerConfiguration and
then do something like this:

                 MyResourceManagerConfiguration config = ...something...;
                 IRemoteServices remoteServices =
PTPRemotePlugin.getDefault
().getRemoteServices(config.getRemoteServicesId());
                 IRemoteConnectionManager connMgr =
remoteServices.getConnectionManager();
                 IRemoteConnection conn = connMgr.getConnection
(config.getConnectionName());

Greg