Re: [platform-update-dev] eclipse installation site types cleanup

platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 12/04/2004 02:46:49 PM:

> My question is: do we still need "private" sites?

Don't think so.

> What I propose is this:
> - have only two sites: product site and product extension sites.

Sounds good

> - a product extension site can be linked with a .link file as before

Don't like this one as it splits the configuration into two locations the links directory and the platform.xml. You are keeping it for backwards compatibility and marking it as a decprecated API?

> - a product extension site can be added in the UI (configuration manager)
> - a product extension site can be created by the install wizard

I assume it can also be added via the -addsite command

> - a product extension site should be removable via the configuration
> manager, as long as it was not linked by a .link file (the links
> directory should be only managed by native installers)

I'd like to add here that it should only be removable by the configuration manager if it was added via the UI. If my product adds a site then having the user remove it could be problematic. There should be at least a warning not to do this.

In fact it would be nice to not have the manage configuration pane available to the user unless they specifically ask for it. It is an advanced function that most users would never use. Can it be added to an activity?

> - a product extension site can be unconfigured/disabled
> - for consistency with the path specified in a .link file, the add
> site dialog should allow selecting the actual product extension (i.
> e. the folder containing the eclipse directory), as opposed to
> having to select the eclipse folder itself as done now. Also, when
> creating a site in the install wizard, instead of creating features
> and plugins folders inside the selected location, create an eclipse
> parent directory first.

Consistency is best. So do it the same way all around. Either require the eclipse directory as a parent or don't. So there should be an enforced behaviour.  One of the following shouldn't be allowed.

ext1\eclipse\features
ext2\features

> Any suggestions/thoughts/concerns ?
>
> -Dorian