Re: [platform-update-dev] eclipse installation site types cleanup

platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 12/04/2004 03:48:56 PM:

> Hello Dorian,
>
> Monday, April 12, 2004, 8:46:49 PM, you wrote:
> > - for consistency with the path specified in a .link file, the add site
> > dialog should allow selecting the actual product extension (i.e. the
> > folder containing the eclipse directory), as opposed to having to select
> > the eclipse folder itself as done now. Also, when creating a site in the
> > install wizard, instead of creating features and plugins folders inside
> > the selected location, create an eclipse parent directory first.
>
> I would like to suggest the other way around: make selecting the
> right dir possible. It's just a waste of path elements to add a
> $HOME/.eclipse/eclipse/{plugins,features} path, only to hide it in
> your home dir. I would rather use
> $HOME/.eclipseextention/{plugins,features}.

the .eclipseextention path is just an example of a path? It could be

$HOME/extension1/{plugins,features}

as well.

> Another nice feature would be a 'root only updates', so that one
> could update the site via the commandline updater, but not via the
> normal user UI.

Yes there needs to be a way to not allow the user to remove or modify extensions created by native installers using the -addsite command without using the -removesite command.