[platform-update-dev] Native installer issues

Hi -

I am investigating the possibility of a native installer for Eclipse on the AIX
platform.  After reading the document on Multi-user install issues, I have some
questions on how Eclipse creates/uses the platform.cfg file(s).

According to the document, a one-time initialization should be peformed after
install.  The -initialize command starts a headless initialization process
that, as far as I can tell, writes config info to
<install>/.config/platform.cfg.  This initialization process obviously fails
if invoked by an unprivileged user in the case of a read-only install base.

Eclipse also creates a platform.xml in the ".config" directory of every new
workspace.  Does the workspace-specific platform.cfg similarly provide the
necessary information to "ensure that the product starts quickly, with the
correct splash screen, on subsequent occasions?"

If not, is it necessary for a native installer to invoke this initialization
so that platform.cfg exists in the base install location?  My initial tests
show that Eclipse runs in such a setup, without having done so.

Thanks in advance-
John

John Rose

Back to the top