Re: [platform-update-dev] Native installer issues

You are correct.  The -initialize command writes basic config info to
<install>/.config/platform.cfg and is intended
to be performed at install time, when write access to the install directory
would be a given.

> Does the workspace-specific platform.cfg similarly provide the
> necessary information to "ensure that the product starts quickly, with
the
> correct splash screen, on subsequent occasions?"

Yep.

> If not, is it necessary for a native installer to invoke this
initialization
> so that platform.cfg exists in the base install location?  My initial
tests
> show that Eclipse runs in such a setup, without having done so.

This is one of the places where the implementation is still in flux. What
you're seeing with the most recent
integration build (0515) is some legacy code in eclipse.exe that's covering
up for the fact that the new
splash handling is not in place (delete <install>/splash/ and you'll see
what I mean).

It's not strictly necessary for a native installer to perform an
-initialize launch. Without it, the behaviour on
first startup with a new workspace will be as follows:
(1) user sees a fake splash screen saying roughly "Completing the install.
Please wait..."
(2) several seconds will pass as Eclipse computes the initial configuration
info based on the set of
features and plug-ins on hand and writes that config info to the workspace
platform.cfg; it then exits
with a special relaunch code 23
(3) user sees the correct splash screen
(4) several seconds pass as Eclipse starts up the workbench

Calling -initialize at install time will ensure that the user hever has to
sit through (1) and (2).

---Jim des Rivieres

|---------+------------------------------------->
|         |           johnrose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|         |           Sent by:                  |
|         |           platform-update-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org               |
|         |                                     |
|         |                                     |
|         |           05/16/2002 04:53 PM       |
|         |           Please respond to         |
|         |           platform-update-dev       |
|         |                                     |
|---------+------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                          |
  |        To:      platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                          |
  |        cc:                                                                                               |
  |        Subject: [platform-update-dev] Native installer issues                                            |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi -

I am investigating the possibility of a native installer for Eclipse on the
AIX
platform.  After reading the document on Multi-user install issues, I have
some
questions on how Eclipse creates/uses the platform.cfg file(s).

According to the document, a one-time initialization should be peformed
after
install.  The -initialize command starts a headless initialization process
that, as far as I can tell, writes config info to
<install>/.config/platform.cfg.  This initialization process obviously
fails
if invoked by an unprivileged user in the case of a read-only install base.

Eclipse also creates a platform.xml in the ".config" directory of every new
workspace.  Does the workspace-specific platform.cfg similarly provide the
necessary information to "ensure that the product starts quickly, with the
correct splash screen, on subsequent occasions?"

If not, is it necessary for a native installer to invoke this
initialization
so that platform.cfg exists in the base install location?  My initial tests
show that Eclipse runs in such a setup, without having done so.

Thanks in advance-
John