Re: [platform-ui-dev] Policy of the Platform projects with regards to tests accessing non-public members

No, you understood that correctly. It is possible and it is supported by OSGi. And for PDE you need the additional header. But IMHO you should not do this because of several reasons.

I have blogged about that http://blog.vogella.com/2016/02/09/osgi-bundles-fragments-dependencies/

And as I said, for tests it should not matter.