Re: [platform-ui-dev] Should we avoid -2 on Gerrit ?

-2 may still has its place. If the entire approach taken by the patch is flawed and the reviewer doesn't want the patch to be committed in any form, that could be the circumstance where we use -2.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This sound like a good idea, and I find it interesting, simply because I certainly never new about the difference.

I can't help but wonder, though ... is this worth a Gerrit bug or enhancement request? At least to have a "site preference" or "project preference" on how "volatile" a -2 is?
[I am assuming it is supposed to be a "feature" ... like "we'll never do what is being suggested", but not sure the wording of -2 reflects that?]

Thanks for reading,

From:        Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date:        10/09/2015 12:00 PM
Subject:        [platform-ui-dev] Should we avoid -2 on Gerrit ?
Sent by:        platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

I'm trying to give a hand to Platform UI by reviewing a few patches. Not sure how helpful I can be though :D
I've noticed several patches that have a red cross (so that they seem waiting for contributor to fix them) whereas the contributor did resubmit a new patchset to fix the suggested thing that made the reviewer vote -2. The issue is that the -2 is persistent and while looking at all open contributions, it's not clear which ones are waiting for contributor fix and which ones are waiting for review.
Example: https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/48952/6The -2 was given on patch set 2; and current patch set 6 contains the change requested; but the contribution still appears as -2 whereas it seems in a good state to be merged.
In order to make it easier for everyone to sort out the action to do, what would you think about not using -2 on Gerrit, and stick with the -1 which is more "volatile" ?

Cheers,

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at